Wednesday 9 May 2012

FCE informal writing: we have posted several sample letters written by 5th year students (B and D, advanced level). Enjoy!


FCE task: informal writing


Sample letters written by students

SAMPLE A BY BONO and BARTOL

Dear Pattinson,
                           I heard you´re looking for a contact in my country. I´m writing because I think I´m the right person for you.
                           My name´s Gilberto Schink and I´m 19 years old. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I finished secondary school last year and now I´m studying engineering at Melbourne College. Also, I like sports, and I play rugby at Wallabies FC. Next year we are having a trip to your country, England.
                         My parents are Christine and Andy. Christine is 48 years old and is a Math teacher. In 2006 she won a prize for best teacher in my city. I´m proud of her. She´s also an architect and she´s brilliant. My father Andy is a mechanic and he had a very hard childhood because they didn´t have enough money.
                        Let me tell you about my siblings. My sister Katherine is married and she´s living in Sydney with her husband. She´s 28 years old and she is a housewife. My brother Ken is 11 years old and he lives with us. He´s adopted but he doesn´t know it yet. He goes to primary school.
                      It would be great to meet you sometime in Australia to talk about the contact with my family. Next time I write, I´ll send you a photo.
                      Now I must leave because I have basketball training. I´ll be waiting for your e-mail.
              Kind regards,
                      Gilberto

SAMPLE B BY VELO and PITRELLI

Dear Peter,
I’ve been told that you have been looking for a contact in Argentina, so I thought I could help you with that.
My name is Luisa and I’m seventeen years old. I’m still at school, and this is my last year. I go to Sagrado Corazón School in Buenos Aires, which is the capital city of my country. I have been studying English for about seven years, and that’s important because I’m able to help you with the language.
I live in a flat with my parents and my sister. Marta, my sister, is younger than me. She is thirteen years old, and she is also at school. However, she doesn’t go to the same school as me.  I also have a puppy, her name is Canela and she’s part of my family. I love my family! Fortunately, we get on very well, although we sometimes argue (just like any other family).
I would like to meet you someday, so if you decide to come here, just send me an email so that we arrange a time and place. I will show you different places here. It’s always a pleasure to make new friends.
I hope to see you soon, and I will be waiting for your answer to learn more about you and your life.
Love,
                        Luisa.

SAMPLE C BY KANIA, FANN and FANTIN

Dear Susy,
My name is Stephanie, and I’m writing to you because I heard you were looking for a pen friend, right? People seem to think that you and I will get on well, and I thought we should give it a try.
Well, I’m going to tell you about me. I live in Argentina with my family, I’m at my senior year at High School, and although teachers are giving us a lot of information to read, I consider myself a bookworm.
As I told you before, I live with my parents. My father works in an office and my mom is an artist, right now she is teaching art to children. I think they would like to spend more time with me but they rarely have any.
I also have two elder brothers, Jude and Nicholas. Jude, who works and studies, doesn’t have much free time, so we don’t see each other very often. Nicho is starting a music business and he lives with his girlfriend. And about me... I like reading books, watching movies at the cinema with my friends, and I’m planning what to do for next three-day weekend!
So, what about you? What about your family? Do you have any hobbies? I’ve heard really nice things about you and I really hope we can meet sometime in the future, if that’s ok.
I’m looking forward to hearing from you, and I hope you have a nice weekend!
Love,
Stephy.

SAMPLE D BY BENINI - POTASCHNIK and CAFIERO
Dear Lucy,
Hi there! Two weeks ago my best friend Maru gave me your email address so I thought it would be a good idea if we got to know each other!
First of all, my name is Agustina and I’m seventeen. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina with my parents and my elder sister. I also have a dog, Copito, who is very friendly. I’m about to graduate from high school and I’m thinking of becoming a Maths teacher at Sagrado Corazón School. What about you? Do you study at college?
Let me tell you a bit more about my family. My mom’s a secretary and my dad’s a dentist. Everybody says I take after my mother but I think I have a lot more in common with my father. Next time, I’ll send you a picture of us so that you can judge by yourself! I don’t really get along with my sister because she’s always using my stuff without my permission.
Back to myself, I enjoy going to Jazz lessons and playing the piano at home, which I’ve been learning since I was very little. I also love going clubbing with my friends and going to the movies!
I love making new friends so it’d be great to hear more from you! By the way, have you ever thought of going abroad? I’d love to meet you someday!
Already looking forward to your answer.
Love,
Agustina.


No comments:

Post a Comment