Saturday 27 June 2015

Writing sample: Article

Module 4 – Article – Victoria Martí (5D). Thank you Vicky!


Rollers for the Qom

How would you feel if you knew that people are starving in Chaco? I guess you would feel sad and worried. That's how I felt last year but instead of doing nothing,. I decided to organise a roller race. I did it for charity. I wanted to collect money for the Qom community in Chaco. I had read in the newspaper that the Qom people suffered from hunger and poverty. So I promised myself I would help them.
First, I had an interview with Qom leaders and explained what I wanted to do. Qom people are very humble and thankful. While I was reaching their village, I wondered if they would accept my proposition because, maybe, they were too proud to ask for help. Fortunately, I was wrong. I was really welcomed and they immediately accepted my offer. Then, I asked for permission to the local authorities and they allowed me to set up the race at Bosques de Palermo. Once I had the authorization, I started to publish the race on radios, social networks and even on a couple of TV shows. Volunteers had to skate around the lagoon which is in the middle of the park. The winner would get a symbolic medal. I had also contacted a company to provide rollers for the people who didn't have any. Gladly, they did it for free.
The event was a success! People of all ages skated round the lagoon. For me, it was the first time, just imagine, I slipped and fell down a couple of times but I didn't care because my bruises were for a good cause. More than 7,000 people took part and I could raise about $35,000. Furthermore, the city government also contributed with another $20,000 and a few companies donated food and clothes. I felt really pleased.
Although organising the charity event was really hard and stressful, I have no doubt that I would do it again. Helping suffering people is something worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment